CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I Am" Poems

In our introduction to the class, we talk a lot about identity and the fact that we have to really know ourselves and how we think and perceive the world around us. These are a couple of outstanding examples of the "I Am" poem we started with this semester.

Who I Am by Paulina
I am a mixture of cultures but can't speak the language
I am sure of where I am going but not how to get there
I am a football fan who doesn't know the rules
I am sunny beaches and a snowy day
I am a swimmer who is afraid of open water
I am a world traveler who hasn't really been anywhere
I am a reader of food labels but don't care what they say
I am aware, but not involved
I am comedy
I am quiet but my thoughts are loud
I am a friendly smile
I am a busy bee looking for things to do
I am a keeper of random facts
I am an observer
I am spiritual and religious
I am done with this poem

Who I Am by Elliott
I am movies that make you cry
I am an airplane flying to a different place
I am stars twinkling in the night sky
I am salt water and sand between toes
I am a lounge chair soaking up the sun
I am chocolate raspberry in a waffle cone at Brewster's
I am the thrill and adrenaline before a roller coaster ride
I am the bud to a flower blooming
I am sunsets in the sky
I am bike riding, hiking, and snow skiing
I am swimming pools and hot tubs
I am bright colors, yellow, pink, and lime
I am TV Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and the OC
I am creative, fun, loud, and friendly
I am soccer in the fall
I am ambitious and know what I want in life
I am books that can't be put down
I am the lightning in a thunderstorm
I am the one laughing in a group

4 comments:

mandie said...

These poems were a great way for us to express how we see ourselves. When most people go to decribe someone else they would never even think of these things, but when you take the time to think about it, the usual descriptions are cookie cutter, whereas ours are true to who we really are.

emily said...

These poems were a good way of again realizing who you are. It's easy to talk about the more generic things, but the little things are what make us who we are.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed doing this poem, it was a way for us to think about all the little things that make us unique and our own individual. We talked about things that normally we wouldnt think about on a daily basis,but rather the things that go deep into our personalities.

-Brooke

Anonymous said...

This is a great writing assignment. Sometimes it is hard to explain ourselves or tell why we are the way we are. These poems allow people to use examples and metaphors to reach places that are hard to explain. It also shows, like in Paulinas? poem, that we are are full of contradictions but that just makes us more unique. I would love to write one of these.