CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Morally Outraged?

I wasn't originally planning to post any more about "Europa, Europa," but I was interested in how differently this class seemed to feel than some of my class members last year. Perel "became" "racially pure", not just "racially pure", but actually a German soldier and then a member of the Hitler Youth, in this movie. Most of you seemed to view this as admirable, a triumph of sorts because he "outsmarted" the Nazis. Some in the past have been almost morally outraged at his decision, and have viewed it as a betrayal of his people and his brothers. I would venture to guess that Holocaust survivors who have viewed this movie also have varying opinions on the topic. For the sake of argument, I just wondered if there was anyone who did not speak up in class on the opposing side but would like to do so on here. If this post speaks to anyone, I am very curious to hear your opinions.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a really sticky topic. I mean, he was just doing whatever it took to survive right? Other people went to different measures to save their lives. We've talked about the women who could either smother their baby or risk the lives of many more people. I think survival instincts kicked in. He never really denounced his faith, what little faith he seemed to possess. He always remembers who he was and where he came from. I honestly think he was just trying to survive.
-Walker Geren