CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blended Poetry Based on The Cage

We read The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender.  When we finished that book, the students highlighted passages that really spoke to them and then answered a few prompts of their own.  They then took those highlighted portions of Sender's work and mixed them with their own answers to the prompts, creating a blended poem.  These are a few really good ones, though they all turned out spectacular!


"It is Good" by Brooke and Ruth Sender
It is good to be alive
    With hopes of a bright future
I must never again give up
    My family is counting on me
I want to take everything with me
    All those precious moments
I must carry them in my heart
     the sights, the sounds, the laughter
We still dream
     a family, a husband
A life almost forgotten
     with old hopes comes new
Hands reach out,
     to grasp that old life
I want to shout for Joy!
     memories never fade.

"Hope" by Snezhanna and Ruth Sender
It is good to be alive
     God and my religion keep me going.
Beauty and horror around me.
     I want to be happy.
I must never again give up.
      My friend helped me get through so much.
I am going to write again.
     Writing stories keeps me sane.
A world of poetry, beauty, and hope
     My dreams are an inspiration, giving me hope for a better day.

"Memory" by Elliott and Ruth Sender
A gentle breeze caresses my face
     A feeling that my mother is right there beside me.
A world of love
     The future with my own family
I must never give up
     Guidance from my dad in the right direction
Dream of a better world
     I hope to one day help others in need
I must carry them in my heart
     The memories with my cousins
A tomorrow that is coming for all of us
     A future of happiness
It is good to be alive
     The advantage to travel to a beautiful place to live in my memory
Every detail.

"He's Always Listening" by Ashley and Ruth Sender
He listens with interest to my every word
     God, He's always listening
I speak to Him of a tomorrow
     to become a teacher, to have a nice home
Forgetting death knocking at our door, we still dream
     to get married, to have kids
How lovely it must be to run freely among such surroundings
     Disneyworld, Childhood fun
Hands reach out to touch him
     God, He's always listening
He listens with interest to my every word. 

"Life" by Emily and Ruth Sender
A gentle breeze coming through the window caresses my face.
     Married happily and with a healthy family.
It is good to be alive.
     Jesus, my Savior, who has given me a life to live.
They all left traces of their lives here
     At the table on Sundays after church during lunch.
Set amid majestic mountains.  Such beauty.
     The view of the sunset from my porch falling behind the ridge of mountains.
Like a prince in a fairy tale,
     large grassy yard to freely play in.
Beauty and horror all around me,
     Mom's and dad's encouraging inspirational words surround me.

0 comments: