CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 17, 2012

Week of September 17

Last Friday was a real downer. I know that, and I am sorry that we started our weekend on that note. However, as I said to you in the beginning of the semester, this is a study of some pretty horrific events and there are going to many days that are real downers. It should be. It should upset you and make you feel bad and make you want to see a world where teenagers don't have to die because of who they are. I struggle sometimes with the heaviness of all of this because I know that you are young and that some of this material is beyond what you might be emotionally ready to handle. So I try to present it in a way that eases you into it. But then we have a day like Friday, and it all seems like more than we are ready for. I want you to understand, though, that even though it is a study of tragic events, there were so many bright spots and shining examples of the best of humanity, even in the midst of the worst of humanity. We will get to stories of rescue and resistance (not always physical) and liberation that will hopefully inspire us to be better people. We just have to learn about a lot of the evil in order to get to the good. So stick with me, brace yourselves, and keep that eagerness to learn more that I saw evidenced on Thursday. I LOVED that day, when there were more hands up to ask questions and get more information than I could even call on. This week is the real beginning of the downward fall for Germany and the Jews. Kristallnacht was that turning point. Keep asking the questions, putting yourselves in the shoes of the people we are reading and talking about...

Monday, 9/17
Kristallnacht jigsaw

Tuesday, 9/18
Kristallnacht
Primary/secondary sources activity
Homework: Journal entry

Wednesday, 9/19
Library for research

Thursday, 9/20
Library for research

Friday, 9/21
Reading day (Maus)

0 comments: